Thursday, January 15, 2009

Modern Toys

Our children's toys tell a special story - the world through the eyes of the people that think they know what kids should be taught. IE - truly skeery.

I've included some of the reviews from the Amazon.com page - there are several....



2,337 of 2,375 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars Great lesson for the kids!, September 9, 2005
By loosenut (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I was a little disappointed when I first bought this item, because the functionality is limited. My 5 year old son pointed out that the passenger's shoes cannot be removed. Then, we placed a deadly fingernail file underneath the passenger's scarf, and neither the detector doorway nor the security wand picked it up. My son said "that's the worst security ever!". But it turned out to be okay, because when the passenger got on the Playmobil B757 and tried to hijack it, she was mobbed by a couple of other heroic passengers, who only sustained minor injuries in the scuffle, which were treated at the Playmobil Hospital.

The best thing about this product is that it teaches kids about the realities of living in a high-surveillence society. My son said he wants the Playmobil Neighborhood Surveillence System set for Christmas. I've heard that the CC TV cameras on that thing are pretty worthless in terms of quality and motion detection, so I think I'll get him the Playmobil Abu-Gharib Interogation Set instead (it comes with a cute little memo from George Bush).



139 of 144 people found the following review helpful:
3.0 out of 5 stars Teaching Respect for the State Security Apparatus, March 9, 2008
By Gen. JC Christian, patriot (Tremonton, UT United States) - See all my reviews
Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
I like the basic idea. I applaud Playmobile for attempting to provide us with the tools we need to teach our children to unquestioningly obey the commands of the State Security Apparatus, but unfortunately, this product falls short of doing that. There's no brown figure for little Josh to profile, taser, and detain? Where are all the frightened plastic Heartlanders pointing at the brown figure as they whisper "terrorist?" Where are the hippy couple figures being denied boarding passes? And shouldn't someone be forcing a mother figure to drink her own breast milk?



70 of 71 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Changed My Life, August 10, 2008
By prd "noname" (Poulsbo, WA) - See all my reviews
Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
I will never need to buy toothpaste again thanks to Playmobil. Not realizing this was a toy I purchased it to prepare for my interview as a TSA agent. Needless to say I aced it and have been happily viewing xrays of carry-on luggage and shoes ever since. As noted above, the free toothpaste is just icing on the cake - never expected a free lifetime supply, but who's complaining. This is a "must-have" for any aspiring TSA agent out there.

4 comments:

Kaye Fissinger said...

Good grief, Doug. At first I thought that you found a tongue-in-cheek website and reposted. I actually had to click on the Amazon link to convince myself that this was real. Is there an emoticon for shaking one's head in dismay?

Doogman said...

Wait till you see the Gitmo Playset! It has a waterboarding setup! NEETO!

ToLo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ToLo said...

There are many more reviews, and it's hilarious once you get started. Sadly hilarious, that is.

Also check out the Playmobile Safecrackers ...

(re: previous post: it was this, but I had to fix a typo ...)