Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kounsil Kampain Kaperz

*Snif Snif*

I smell money moving around.

Every single time the Longmont Times-Call runs any story about City Council, the first five or six comments are vicious attacks. If I didn't know better, I'd say they had gotten advance notice and been given talking points. Dolorous, sanctimonious laments from councilmember Mary Blue1 and Gabe Santos2 are de rigeur, underlining how disappointed those two 'crusaders' are.

What blows the whistle on this tactic is the jingo being used. The ever-present epithets about "greenies," "environmentalists" and "eco-nuts" along with sneering about "being green" tell me it's the Longmont Lunatic Fringe. (Golly gee Wally, ya think?)

If the carefully-orchestrated anvil chorus on Council isn't an obvious tactic to you, let me remind you of a certain pink letter and the torch-and-pitchfork screeching it created that carried Councilman Santos into office.

I'm just curious who's going to run in the next Council election.

I'm sure there will be a near-continuous barrage of letters-to-the-editor, blog postings, comments, mailers, tv ads, radio spots, flyers, visits from deposed Reps, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc!

The Lunatic Fringe wants Longmont back and they want it bad.

Enough to spend a sizable fraction of their annual budgets to buy it if need be.
--------
1 She reminds me of a line from Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis: "...she did her work with the thoroughness of a mind which reveres details and never quite understands them..."

2 Gabe Santos Interview

No comments: